Calling all parrot heads: this is your time to shine and unite for a good cause. Grab your Hawaiian gear, zinc your nose and get ready for a night of island fun at the Grayson Ampavilion on June 8 from 6 – 10 p.m. for the city’s Gimme Shelter Concert featuring the A1A Jimmy Buffett Tribute Band. In addition to providing a beachin’ good time, the concert will benefit the Southeast Gwinnett Cooperative Ministry. Now in its fifth year, the concert, presented by Chelsea Gardens Landscape Management, Inc., has propelled Grayson into a city that has become known for both its music and its ability to get things done for those in need.
In what started in 2015 as a concert benefiting the Partnership Against Domestic Violence has morphed into an annual concert event benefiting multiple non-profits while providing music by some of the best artists in the area. This year, the City of Grayson will be kicking it up a notch with the concert being performed at its new Ampavilion. And any Jimmy Buffet concert wouldn’t be complete without a costume contest, so be sure to wear your best “parrot head” attire for your chance to win awesome prizes.
In addition to “songs you know by heart,” here are a few things to know before you pack your bags for “St. Somewhere”:
• There will be “some kind of sensuous treat. Not zucchini, fettuccini or Bulgar wheat – but a warm bun and a huge hunk of meat -a cheese burger in paradise – not too particular – not too precise.”
• No need to search for your “lost shaker and salt.” There will be “booze in a blender” at the city’s very own “Margaritaville” as long as you “make sure you can keep it between the navigational beacons.”
• Do not be a “chum with a bottle of rum,” or “pop-tops” as outside coolers (or food) are not permitted.
The “son of a son of a sailor” is welcome – as long as he is 21.
• Yes, we know there is “somethin’ ‘bout your dog, sitting by your side. Just a waggin’ that tail, grinnin’ that grin” but they are not allowed either.
• Grab your neighbors, friends and “fins to the left and fins to the right” and prepare for a good time because “if we couldn’t laugh, we would all go insane.”
Purchase your tickets by visiting https://www.bigtickets.com/e/gdda/2019GimmeShelterConcert/ or visit facebook.com/GetIntoGrayson.